Deborah Ellis’s bestselling novel The Breadwinner, now available as a stunningly illustrated graphic novel.
Based on the Academy Award- and Golden Globe-nominated animated feature film, produced by Aircraft Pictures in association with Cartoon Saloon, directed by Nora Twomey, executive produced by Angelina Jolie.
Nora Twomey, author
Nora Twomey is co-founder and creative director of Cartoon Saloon, and was co-director of their Oscar® nominated animated feature The Secret of Kells and head of story on the follow-up film, the Oscar® nominated Song of the Sea. Nora is the director of The Breadwinner, an animated feature film adaptation of Deborah Ellis’s best-selling children’s novel.
Deborah Ellis, author
Deborah Ellis is the author of more than two dozen books, including The Breadwinner, which has been published in twenty-five languages and was recently adapted into a feature-length animated film and a graphic novel. She has won the Governor General’s Literary Award, the Middle East Book Award, the Peter Pan Prize, the Jane Addams Children’s Book Award and the Vicky Metcalf Award for a Body of Work. She has received the Ontario Library Association’s President’s Award for Exceptional Achievement, and she has been named to the Order of Canada. She has donated almost $2 million in royalties to organizations such as Women for Women in Afghanistan, UNICEF and Street Kids International.
- A great kids’ book … a graphic geopolitical brief that’s also a girl-power parable. - Newsweek
- All girls [should read] "The Breadwinner" by Deborah Ellis. - Malala Yousafzai, New York Times
- Commended, 2003 YALSA Popular Paperbacks for Young Adults
- Shortlisted, 2003 Rocky Mountain Book Award
- Commended, 2004 Rebecca Caudill Young Reader’s Award
- Winner, 2003 Baia delle Favole Prize
- Winner, 2003 Hackmatack Award
- Winner, 2003 Sweden’s Peter Pan Prize
- Winner, 2002 Middle East Book Award
Rights Holder: Groundwood Books
rights sold: Arabic (Kalimat), Australia and New-Zealand (Allen & Unwin), French (Europe, Hachette; North America, Scholastic), Italian (Rizzoli), United Kingdom (Oxford University Press)
rights available: World, excl. English North America
age range: 10 - 12
number of pages: 80
publication date: 01/01/2018
Original language of pub: English
Materials Available: finished book