Call for Submissions
One of the major commitments made by Canada to the Frankfurt Book Fair as part of our 2020 Guest of Honour (GoH) presence is the organization of a literary programming, built in collaboration with a dedicated Literary Programming Committee (LPC) and our Canadian and German partners.
Canada FBM2020 is now accepting submissions from Canadian publishers and literary agents of Canadian authors and illustrators (creators) to be considered for participation 1) in events at the Frankfurt Book Fair (October 14-18, 2020), as well as 2) other literary events in Germany in the 2020 calendar year.
General Information on Programming in 2020
GeCanada’s Guest of Honour literary programme will be comprised of the following two elements:
- The Frankfurt Book Fair in 2020:
A delegation of authors and illustrators who will attend the 2020 Frankfurt Book Fair to participate in various speaking engagements and presentations;
- During the Guest of Honour year in 2020:
A series of author and illustrator visits to festivals, literature houses, and other literary events in Frankfurt and elsewhere in Germany, Austria, and Switzerland throughout 2020, as part of a broad spectrum of Canadian literary and cultural events and exhibitions linked to our Guest of Honour year, as well as participation in related literary programmes such as poetry slams, readings with music, film adaptations of novels, documentaries on authors, etc. In Germany.
The selected creators will be part of Canada’s official delegation in 2020.
Creators who receive an official invitation and confirmation letter from Canada FBM2020 will have access to financial support to cover their travel and accommodation expenses.
Given the limited number of spots available, the LPC will only be able to consider creators who meet the criteria. Please also be sure to refer to the above section, General Information on Programming in 2020, before proceeding.
The LPC will be guided by the following considerations:
- The creator must be Canadian and published in Canada (for all genres).
- The creator has a German commercial partner for their work and there is a forthcoming or existing publication that will be available in the German language in 2020.
- If the creator does not have a German commercial partner for their work, the creator is notable through reputation, recognition, subject matter or genre. Accomplishment will be measured in part, but not exclusively, through national and international awards, translations and foreign editions, reviews, and contribution to the literary landscape.
- The delegation represents Canada’s diversity in its broadest understanding—inclusive of geography, cultural background, age, ability, gender, genre and representing Indigenous, Francophone, and Anglophone literature, writing, and literary expression from a variety of genres. Click here for the guiding principles of the committee.
- The creator has a distinctive voice and artistic expression.
How to Submit a Candidate*:
To submit a creator’s profile, please complete the online form.
* Apply now, as places are limited. A first round of deliberations will take place at the end of October. Please note that this process is open to Canadian publishers and literary agents.
Projects that are self-presented or self-promoted, will not be considered for the official delegation.
*Update: first deliberations will take place after November 4th.
Photo: Gaëlle Marcel on Unsplash